Come learn with us.
Our FAQ section has answers to many of your frequently asked questions.
What clothes or other gear do I need?
What is the minimum age for the programs?
What happens if I do not meet the standard by the end of the course?
If you do not pass the written exam it can be re-taken after 14 days. We can make arrangements for this to be done locally if you do not live in the Kingston area.
If you are not successful in the afloat skills then other options exist. It is possible you may be uncomfortable in command but are capable of meeting the competent crew standard. Alternatively further coaching and assessment can be provided after the course (at additional cost).
What is Included in the Fee?
Live aboard course fees do not include.
- Eating out (usually one evening meal you cover your own expense)
- Food- the students buy provisions for the boat and cook meals as part of the course.
- Dockage/pumpout while away from Collins Bay Marina usually around $20 per student.
The Day course fees all boat costs but do not include any costs of food
The Course Package Includes…
- 8 days of cruising and learning in the B.V.I.s
- all boat expenses and required taxes applicable in the B.V.I.s
- accommodation and superb cruising aboard a large modern Beneteau 47′ yacht.
- Provisions for all breakfasts and lunches and 4 dinners (other dinners are ashore at your expense)
- all texts and course materials International cruising logbook and CYA certification fees.
I have sailing experience but no qualifications, I want to take Intermediate do I have to take the basic course first?
You should review the Canadian Yachting Association Basic Cruising Standard to make sure you can sail confidently at least at Basic level and have experience as above . Basic cruising is a pre-requisite for Intermediate but it is possible to take and pass the Basic written exam before an Intermediate course. During the Intermediate course your existing skills will be assessed to make sure you are sailing at a basic level while coaching you to intermediate skill level. The Intermediate exam would be taken on the course as normal. There is no guarantee that you will meet the Intermediate standard and there is an extra charge for the additional materials and basic exam. Because there is no time in the advanced course to develop intermediate skills, Intermediate Cruising is a prerequisite for Advanced students. If you have keelboat sailing qualifications from another country or Power Squadron qualifications, please contact us to discuss options.
Do I have to take the exam?
Do I have to be fit and strong?
Can you accommodate someone with allergies?
I own a boat, or I want experience on a boat larger than 30', can I arrange a private course?
If you want experience in a larger 40-47 ft boat check out our Caribbean courses with Barefoot Offshore Sailing School or consider chartering a boat with Kingston Sailing Charters.
We specialize in private tuition. We will teach on your boat, providing it is suitable, well maintained, insured and has all safety equipment required by the small vessel regulations (this is listed in the safe boating guide). We will not teach on your boat if it does not meet these criteria. Call us for pricing. We can also run private courses on our CS30 or we can arrange to charter a larger boat on a private or semi-private Basis. We are approved by Kigston Sailing Charters who operate a variety of boats out of our Marina.
Where can I park my car during the course?
I'm nervous about being on a sailboat or I'm a non-swimmer
What's next- how do I get to enjoy my new found skills after I have taken a course?
- Boat ownership If you are ready to take the plunge, and right now prices of sailboats are depressed- I can help former students with general advice on suitable sailboats. I have a number of contacts who can help with opinions and I can provide links to various websites.
- Crew on a Race boat This is an excellent way to get more experience. Racers are generally looking for crew with some sailing experience and racing is an excellent way of improving your skills with an experienced skipper. If you live in the Kingston area Collins Bay Yacht Club has short course races on a Thursday night and longer races on many weekends through the summer and fall.(Race Schedule)
There is a Crew Bank where you can sign on to volunteer. If you don’t live in the Kingston area contact your local yacht club.
- Join a Yacht ClubMany clubs offer membership to non-boat owners and several offer a membership which includes use of club boats. For example in the Ottawa area Sailshare at Napean Sailing club or Britannia Yacht Club.
- Charter a Boat With internationally recognized Intermediate CYA qualifications and /or IYT ICC you wont need a skipper to Bare boat Charter throughout the world with our contacts with charter companies and knowlege of cruising grounds why not contact us to set up a bareboat or skippered charter.
Sail Quinte charters a beautiful Catalina 350 out of Waupoos/Bay of Quinte,
Delphia Yacht Charters offers charters out of Port Credit.
Canadian Yacht Charters offers charters out of Gore Bay on Manitoulin Island cruise the beatiful North Channel I can attest to the quality of the boats and their professional friendly service -well worth the trip.
Links are provided for information Wavelength Sailing does not necessarily endorse the products offered.
Can I bareboat charter with you?
I want to charter in Europe do I need additional qualifications?
What is the difference between International Certificate of Competence and International Bareboat Skipper?
The aspects of practical sailing and operation of the boat for
International Bareboat Skipper (IBS) or
Intermediate Certificate of Competence (ICC)
are equivalent to Intermediate standard but there are different examinations for these certifications.
The ICC is a requirement to charter in many European countries (see website).
Both ICC or IBS are accepted as Bareboat Skipper qualifications in in Croatia.
If you successfully complete IBS and need an ICC you can get one by applying to International Yacht Training -you do not need to take further exams or practical tests.
Both last for 5 years after which they can be renewed for an administration fee without any need for further testing or exams.
I'm from the USA are Sail Canada Certifications recognized here?
What if the weather is bad?
We do however need a minimum of 18 hours on the water teaching afloat skills for Basic courses and 32 hrs for Intermediate. In the event of protracted bad weather we will reschedule the course or accommodate students on other courses to ensure sufficient on-water time.
We cannot refund course costs for weather related issues.