About ICC

What you need to know

About the International Certificate of Competence

The ICC certificate may be issued to anyone who has successfully passed an ICC examination to prove the necessary competence for pleasure craft operation.

(See also “I am a citizen of an EC country or USA can you issue an ICC?”) 
The ICC covers operation of an Auxiliary Yacht under sail and power of up to 24 metres (78′) and a powered tender up to 10 metres (32′). We can also offer an ICC covering powerboats up to 24 metres Please contact us instructor@learntocruise.ca

Come learn with us.

Our FAQ section has answers to many of your frequently asked questions.

    What is an International Certificate of Competence (ICC)?

    The ICC  provides documentary assurance from one government to another that the holder meets the levels of competence laid down in U.N. Resolution 40 which sets the competency standards required to be met and other legal requirements. The ICC from International Yacht training is issued under the Authority of the MCA (Maritime & Coastguard Authority) The UK Maritime agency.

    It is now mandatory to hold a recognised International Certificate of Competency (ICC) if you wish to charter a boat in certain European countries. It is generally required for coastal waters of Mediterranean countries.  The ICC (for coastal vessel operation) represents recognition of skills to operate a vessel in a number of European countries.

    ICC is the basic certificate recognized as proof of competence for coastal sailing.  However… recognition of the ICC and potentially additional requirements may vary from country to country in Europe as we’ve seen with other issues. The  ICC remains the key certification with in some instances a need for supportive training. Individuals planning to charter in european countries should investigate the local requirements to ensure that they hold appropriate certifications.

    Which countries require or accept an ICC?

    22 of the 56 UNECE member nations have formally applied Resolution 40 (but not in its entirety in some cases).

    This list is a guide only. If you are chartering check with the charter company well ahead of time and they will confirm what is needed. Please contact us if you encounter issues

    The following countries have adopted Resolution 40 and officially accept the ICC as proof of boating competence within their territory:

    • Austria
    • Belarus
    • Belgium
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia*
    • Czech Republic
    • Finland
    • Germany
    • Hungary
    • Ireland
    • Lithuania
    • Luxembourg
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Romania
    • Slovakia
    • Switzerland
    • United Kingdom

    * Croatia accepts the certificate from an IYT ICC course but the sailboat size is limited to 30 gross tons (around a typical 55’ Yacht)

    The following countries have not adopted resolution 40 but should  accept ICC’s for use within their territory:

    • France
    • Greece*
    • Italy
    • Poland

    * with experience of similar sized yacht and with a mate who can handle basics.

    The following countries have not accepted Resolution 40 but may require some proof of boating competence before chartering there:

    • Moldova
    • Portugal
    • Spain
    • Russian Federation
    • Serbia
    • Sweden
    • Ukraine
    • United States
    Will an ICC cover competency requirements to charter a boat?

    Yes it will for countries who adopted resolution 40. For charter on inland waterways a CEVNI endorsement will be required.

    However please check with your charter company as there have been some issues with charter companies operating with outdated lists. Also IYT has advised  that a number of  European charter companies and insurance companies will not accept an ICC as sufficient proof to command a yacht for a one week bareboat charter (power or sail). These companies are insisting that the charterer should  also hold an IYT International Flotilla Skipper or IYT International Bareboat Skipper, power or sail.None of our clients (we have over 80 who have taken the ICC) have had a problem but if you do encounter this please contact us and we can arrange for you to also obtain IYT International Bareboat Skipper.

    What is the CENVI endorsement?

    A CEVNI is an endorsement on the ICC . The endorsement allows operation above the first lock of an inland waterway or above the zone of tidal influence. Almost all inland waterways require an ICC with the CEVNI inland endorsement  for navigating inland waters, lakes, rivers and canals. CEVNI is the Code Europeen Des Voies De Navigation Interieure (Revision 2). There is an additional short written exam to obtain the CENVI endorsement.

    I've already taken an Intermediate course with Wavelength Sailing School do I have to take a full course?

    You will need to take the exam and you may have to take a short boat handling test depending on when you took the intermediate course. We will discount the price for alumni. Contact us

    What ICC courses do you offer?

    We offer a one weekend course covering the ICC (& CENVI if required) and the qualification can also be taken as an optional add on to Intermediate courses.

    As a further option you can take the International Bareboat Skipper (IYT) Qualification as part of an Intermediate Course . Some countries (e.g. Croatia) accept this in lieu of an ICC . If you successfully complete the International Bareboat Skipper you qualify for an ICC , and just have to pay a small charge to IYT for the ICC card. Contact us to discuss this option.

    I am a citizen of an EC country or USA can you issue an ICC?

    We can issue ICC to Canadian and US citizens as well as UK and Latvian Citizens however If you are a citizen of any of the other signatories to Resolution 40  (See FAQ Which countries require or accept an ICC?) then to get the IYT Certificate of Competence you will have to prove that you reside in a country who is not a signatory  (for example that you live in Canada)

    Proof of residency can be:

    Utility bill (electric or gas) 
                    Property tax bill
                    Telephone bill
                    Insurance bill

    Otherwise you should get it through the National Organization of your country.

    Are there alternatives?

    There have been a number of organisations who have been issuing ICC’s in Europe that are not “legal” ICC’s and this has caused tremendous confusion in the marketplace. Apparently some countries in Europe now want to see what qualification the ICC has been issued against. 

    PThe American Sailing Association issues an “International Proficiency Certificate” which does not meet the requirements of an ICC to charter in Europe.

    From time to time, Government administrations may change their rules and regulations outside of our control and often without notice. Oftentimes, new staff working for charter brokers / insurance companies have no idea about the rules and usually follow a “list” that is stuck on their office wall (which may not be current). 

    If you hold European Qualifications eg. RYA  you may be able to apply to the organisation for an ICC .

    In the specific case of Croatia alternative qualifications meet this country’s requirements see


    If you are chartering check with the charter company well ahead of time and they will confirm what is needed to ensure they accept an ICC before chartering. Please contact us if you encounter issues